Called for price estimate to replace a keyboard on my Macbook Pro. Guy answered and ran me through a info collecting format, ignoring my comments and questions. He was like connecting to a machine, not wavering from the script. His estimate was this, and I quote: "bring it in for a free diagnostic (not free since it cost me time and money); there's a $129 minimum fee. They provide the parts."

I complained and he said he agreed with me but there was nothing more he could tell me. When I asked to speak to a manager he said none are available and he offered no further help, despite me saying i would go elsewhere unless I could get an estimate.

I called Portland Mac repair and spoke to owner Ben. He was very nice and helpful and gave me estimate of around $100 and I su-pply the parts. I'm taking it to him.

Reason of review: would not give me an estimate for known problem without bringing it in and would not let me speak to manager. that's bad business..

Preferred solution: all i want is a free ballpark estimate over the phone for a replacement of keyboard on my macbook Pro5.2 unibody. Takes an a1297 keyboard..

I didn't like: Pricing or customer service.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Mar 13, 2015.

Comments

Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, United States #958511

Too bad you don't live near me. I do them for ~$35 and my work is top-notch!

$129 = LOL. Computers are so cheap and disposable now that it makes it hard to charge higher prices like that and get a customer to bit the bullet and order the repair. If I charged $129 to replace a keyboard then people with cheap (e.g.

$300) laptops would likely just get a new computer. I don't want that; I want them to let me fix it so they can continue to use their computer and so I get another job.

Portland, Oregon, United States #958114

Dude, keyboards don't just go bad. There could be more wrong than just a keyboard.

I'll bet you $100 that that other place low balled you to get you in only to hit you up for more $ when it's too late to turn back. Sucker born every minute.

to Portland Mac repair #958512

Keyboards do just go bad. I've replaced dead keyboards on laptops before.

Source: am a computer tech